In this lesson, we will discuss the 50 useful examples of complex sentences in English grammar. One of the first things we need to consider when writing a sentence is whether or not it is complex. A complex sentence consists of one independent clause and one or more subordinate clauses. Let us know the definition of a complex sentence.
What Is a Complex Sentence?
To define a complex sentence, think about it this way:
“Jane had her brother take care of the dog”
This sentence has one subject and one verb. “Jane” is the subject, and “had” is the verb. So it’s not a complex sentence because there is only one independent clause.
On the other hand, this sentence is a complex sentence:
“While Jane was making dinner, she remembered that she forgot to feed the dog.”
In this sentence, there are two subjects (Jane and she) and two verbs (make and remember). This makes it a complex sentence because this sentence contains a subordinate clause and an independent clause that have their own subjects and verbs.
50 Examples of Complex Sentences
Without wasting time, let’s have a look at the 50 useful examples of complex sentences to get a clear idea about them:
- She could not come because she had informed us about her illness.
- While my mother was sleeping, my father came home.
- Though I had no money, I bought the dress from the market.
- Since you have completed your homework, you can take a break.
- He will be happy if he gets the job.
- You should do it because I told you to do so.
- Because he was ill, he left the office early.
- He would not have failed the examination if he had listened to me.
- She went with them because they asked her to come with them.
- The teacher explained the lesson again so that everyone could understand.
- Please feel free to share any questions with us if you have any questions.
- She couldn’t attend the party because she was feeling unwell.
- I will go to the cinema only if it rains tomorrow.
- Unless you study harder, you cannot pass the examination next month.
- After I finish my work, I will meet my friends for dinner.
- After you have completed the painting, you should take a rest.
- When they entered, they saw that their friends had arrived.
- He will be promoted if he finishes this project.
- I closed my shop because I had to attend an interview.
- He was happy because he had solved a complex math problem.
- After completing my work, I came to my home quickly.
- She told her friend that she was ready for the examination.
- Though he thought his assignment was well written, His teacher gave him a poor mark.
- You should visit your sister-in-law when she needs you the most.
- Your friend approached me when I was speaking to the principal.
- She is a beautiful woman because she has no defects.
- If they promise to come, I’ll invite my friends to celebrate my birthday.
- The cat ran away when it saw the dog approaching.
- They gave me a gift because I was their manager.
- Though they were ill at that time, they competed with others.
- Though it was raining heavily, he came to the office on time.
- The shop is closed on Sundays so I won’t visit there.
- When you entered the school, the class had just finished.
- I passed the exam because I studied seriously.
- I waited for her because she was my best friend.
- Yesterday, I heard that he had given his time to another woman.
- I’ll introduce you to my parents when you come to my house.
- When I was a child, I used to play football very well.
- It was like a miracle when their son survived the accident.
- Although he made the painting with much patience and effort, he got a poor rating.
- You should take responsibility for your parents because you are the only child.
- When I played football with my friends, we played on the field.
- They got their punishment because they committed a great sin.
- Although he is strong, he is polite towards his friends.
- If I were you, I would have done it differently.
- We walked to school because the weather was very nice.
- I’ll lend you the book if you promise to return it to me soon.
- When she heard about the bad news, she burst into tears.
- Since he waited for his friend till midnight, he did not come.
- If I had enough money, I would have bought the entire building.
Complex sentences are essential to the English language, allowing us to express a wide range of ideas and convey complex relationships between different clauses.
We can describe conditions, contrast ideas, and demonstrate cause-and-effect relationships by combining independent and dependent clauses. Understanding complex sentences improves our capacity for clear idea expression and effective communication.
Complex sentences allow us to convey more complex meanings and produce richer, more interesting dialogue, whether we employ them in writing or speaking. Our ability to understand and use complicated sentences broadens our language skills and enhances our overall fluency and proficiency in English.
- I will go to the party _______ I finish my work.
- She cannot attend the meeting _______ she has a doctor’s appointment.
- They decided to stay home _______ it was raining outside.
- We should take a break _______ we complete this task.
- _______ you study harder, you will improve your grades.
- She went to the library _______ she needed to research for her project.
- _______ the movie started, they bought some popcorn.
- He couldn’t find his keys _______ they were in his jacket pocket.
- _______ the traffic clears up, we will be able to leave.
- _______ I finish my presentation, I will join you for lunch.
Answers: 1. After 2. Because 3. Since 4. Before 5. If 6. Because 7. Before 8. As 9. Unless 10. Once
Azizul Hakim is the founder & CEO of englishfinders.com. He is a passionate writer, English instructor, and content creator. He has completed his graduation and post-graduation in English language and literature.