What is a Material Noun?
A material noun is a type of noun that describes the matter or substance of which things are made. For example, ‘the necklace is made of diamond‘ here, diamond is a material noun because we know diamond is a substance, and the necklace is made using the substance.
Note: No article is placed before a material noun but if the material noun is used in a specific sense then ‘the’ is placed before it. For example, the mineral water from the factory is pure. Here ‘water’ is used for a specific sense.
20 Examples of Material Nouns
Let’s have a look at the 20 useful examples of material nouns:
- My sister is happy to get the diamond ring.
- Water is a life-savior material for us.
- I bought a computer table, and it is made of wood.
- Liza achieved a silver medal for her wonderful performance.
- Coal is an essential element in producing electricity.
- You can choose a ring which is made of pure gold.
- Can you bring me a glass of milk?
- I’m more comfortable wearing cotton clothes.
- Bricks play a vital role in building heavy constructions.
- Without using iron, it’s impossible to make a heavy building.
- She prefers extra salt in her every curry.
- They’re producing different types of products using rubber.
- It’s really difficult for us to live without eating rice.
- Mutton is one of the favorite food of our community.
- You should buy two dozen eggs for this week.
- She has been cooking delicious foods using soybean oil.
- Yamin had been producing leather shoes for five years.
- I love drinking honey every morning.
- Coffee is a famous drink in the USA.
- It’s not bad to drink a cup of tea this evening.
Azizul Hakim is the founder & CEO of englishfinders.com. He is a passionate writer, English instructor, and content creator. He has completed his graduation and post-graduation in English language and literature.