Do you want to know the definitions and types of nouns in English? Then you are in the right place. The noun is one of the essential lessons in English grammar, and we can’t think of any naming word without a noun. Let’s see what a noun is in English grammar?
What Is a Noun in English?
The definition of a noun in English is very easy and simple. A word that describes a person, place, thing, animal, idea, etc., is called a noun. For example, John, The United States, London, city, Almighty, Angels, iron, material, examination, virtuousness, etc.
For details, follow the below sentences to get a clear conception of nouns in English. Nouns are marked in bold for easy identification:
- The name of my brother is John.
- He lives in the United States.
- London is a beautiful city.
- The stadium is full of crowds.
- I pray to Almighty so that he will pass the examination.
- She looks like an Angel.
- Iron is a good material.
- I have a beautiful Cat.
Types of Nouns in English
Nouns are classified into several categories in English grammar. Today we will discuss the five types of nouns. They are:
- Proper nouns
- Common nouns
- Collective nouns
- Abstract nouns
- Material nouns
- Eight parts of speech definitions and examples
- Top 10 websites to learn English easily
- How to learn English quickly
- Ways to start a conversation in English
A proper noun is the name of any particular person, animal, place, thing, etc. For example, Jack, Jennifer, Nathan, Dubai, The United Kingdom, Willy, etc. Proper nouns are marked in bold for easy identification:
- Jack is my favorite friend.
- Hey Jennifer! How are you, buddy?
- Nathan is going to buy some books.
- He has been living in Dubai for five years.
- The United Kingdom is a beautiful country.
- I saw a tiger in the zoo named Willy.
Common nouns are nouns that describe common people, animals, places, things, etc. This noun does not define any particular type of person, place, or thing. Let us see some examples of common nouns: country, city, man, King, Queen, boy, girl, etc. Common nouns are marked in bold for easy identification:
- The name of my country is Bangladesh.
- New York is a fantastic city.
- The boy is good at English.
- His attitude is like an honest man.
- He talks as if he was a king.
- I love this beautiful Queen.
- The girl is going to meet her friends.
- Cricket is a gentleman’s game.
- He cannot swim in the river.
A collective noun is a name that denotes a group of people or things. In American English, collective nouns are considered singular using singular verbs(e.g., the team plays very well). In contrast, in British English, they are(collective nouns) considered singular and plural verbs(e.g.the team plays very well).
Examples of collective nouns; family, crowd, team, group, class, troop, cattle, committee, etc. Collective nouns are marked in bold for easy identification:
- I belong to a middle-class family.
- They watched an exciting cricket match, and the stadium was full of crowds.
- The cricket team of this country is developing day by day.
- A group of people has been working for the humanitarian crisis.
- Troops constantly battle against their enemies to protect their nation.
- The cattle are eating grass in the field.
- The managing committee will take the final decision.
An abstract noun is a noun that represents a thing that is a concept, idea, or quality and that can not be seen physically. For example; Friendship, relationship, neighborhood, childhood, beauty, love, peace, honesty, bravery, etc. Abstract nouns are marked in bold for easy identification:
- We have a good friendship.
- Please do not break our relationship for a misconception.
- I see a great neighborhood among themselves.
- Childhood is one of the best periods of human life.
- You can not explain her beauty with a single word.
- The love between mother and son is always tremendous.
- We should sustain this peace in our country for a long time.
- Honesty is a great virtue for humans.
- Never lose your bravery.
A material noun is a type of noun that describes a material or substance from which the thing is made. For example, gold, iron, silver, water, wood, etc. Material nouns are marked in bold for easy identification:
- Gold is used for making rings.
- Iron is helpful to produce many products.
- The bed is made of wood.
- Silver is a necessary material for us.
- Would you please give me a glass of water?
Azizul Hakim is the founder & CEO of englishfinders.com. He is a passionate writer, English instructor, and content creator. He has completed his graduation and post-graduation in English language and literature.