Nouns are divided into many types, and the collective noun is one of them. A collective noun denotes a group of people, animals, or things. Let’s have a look at the definition of the collective noun.
What is a Collective Noun?
A collective noun is a type of noun that describes a collection or a number of people, animals, or things. In other words, we can say a collective noun is made up of more than one person, animal, or thing. For example, a ‘committee’ because it consists of more than one person or is made up of a group of people.
20 Examples of Collective Nouns
Let’s see the useful 50 examples of collective nouns:
- Kareema belongs to a joint family.
- It’s assumed that a huge number crowd will attend the stadium.
- Our army plays a vital role in protecting our homeland.
- We should have enough caution for this harmful squad.
- He’ll be a new member of our committee.
- The jury will deliver their judgment shortly.
- We’re eagerly waiting to watch the performance of our team.
- They arranged the program for a vast audience.
- She saw a flock of sheep in the field.
- A herd of cattle is drinking water in the river.
- He has the responsibility to disperse the mob.
- Eve is the first girl in her class.
- My favorite musical band will perform in our cultural program.
- Please bring me a basket of fruit so I can heal from the diseases soon.
- The scientists discovered a new galaxy.
- The police have detained a gang of robbers.
- This painting is made by a group of artists.
- We’re going to deploy a staff of employees for the project.
- I saw a troop of monkeys playing with each other.
- I’m eager to rescue the album of my photographs.
Azizul Hakim is the founder & CEO of englishfinders.com. He is a passionate writer, English instructor, and content creator. He has completed his graduation and post-graduation in English language and literature.