Past Continuous Tense
Past Continuous Tense is usually placed when the action was continued in the past for some time. Past Continuous Tense takes was/ were as its helping verbs. So when we describe an action that occurred in the past and continued for a short time, it’s called Past Continuous Tense. For example:
- I was sitting on the table.
- You were missing the exciting moments.
- They were playing beautiful music.
- He was recollecting his childhood days.
- She was cooking delicious food.
Structure: Subject+ was/were+ Verb(+ing)+Object
Let’s have a look at the different forms of Past Continuous Tense:
|I was catching fish in the pond.||Was I catching fish in the pond?||I was not catching fish in the pond||Was I not catching fish in the pond?|
|We were walking in the street.||Were we walking in the street?||We were not walking in the street.||Were we not walking in the street?|
|Sharif was taking a new step in his life.||Was Sharif taking a new step in his life?||Shariff was not taking a new step in his life.||Was Sharif not taking a new step in his life?|
|They were playing baseball in the stadium.||Were they playing baseball in the stadium?||They were not playing baseball in the stadium.||Were they not playing baseball in the stadium?|
|He was participating in the online class.||Was he participating in the online class?||He was not participating in the online class.||Was he not participating in the online class?|
Examples of Past Continuous Tense
Let us see some examples of Past Continuous Tense:
- I was singing a song in the program.
- He was going to the market.
- She was entering the classroom.
- You were missing the event.
- We were enjoying a beautiful time.
- They were planning for new business.
- Shireen was looking at the window.
- Were you attending the wedding party?
- He was not taking any cost from his parents.
- My mom was going to meet my sister.
- Were you looking for a job?
- Were you not visiting the old house?
- They were fishing in the sea.
- We were having an incredible moment.
- Was she not going to the parlor?
- He was making profits from his business.
- The girls were dancing in the program.
- He was walking in the field.
- The farmers were harvesting paddy.
- They were opening a new shop in the market.
Azizul Hakim is the founder & CEO of englishfinders.com. He is a passionate writer, English instructor, and content creator. He has completed his graduation and post-graduation in English language and literature.